With an eye on the food allergy community as a unique group of consumers since 2008, we're on a quest to find and share ways to continue enjoying the good things in life.

03 February 2012

Would you be concerned if...?

Here is something I observed while substitute teaching in a room with two teachers. A six year old boy with life threatening allergies to peanuts, nuts, and milk, ate snack beside his friends in the classroom. His allergies are severe enough that he cannot have skin contact with peanuts, nuts or milk. A few minutes into snack-time, the boy next to him spilled all of his milk on himself and his chair.  In the meantime, the child with allergies set his safe snack down on the table surface and went off to talk to his friends. The milk spill was cleaned up. No reactions occurred.

What do you think? Would you be concerned?


Unknown said...

I would be very concerned. Will you talk to the principal or someone about it?

Vance Miller said...

The child with severe peanut, nut, and dairy allergies has to be able to interact with the other kids so eventually boy will come in contact with his food allergies. The point is to have his medicine near by to counter any reaction.

Dorothy-Life With Boys said...

Really-snack included drinking milk?? That seems like the first thing to eliminate just for the sake of cleanliness! Yes, I would be concerned. I'm surprised that there wasn't some sort of health care plan that stated the allergic child needed to sit by someone NOT drinking milk (or eating X,Y, and Z).