This story popped up on my Google Alerts this afternoon: Webutuck Student Rushed to Hospital. In Connecticut, an eighth grade student was having a life threatening allergic reaction during track practice after school. No one seemed to know what to do. The student actually managed to telephone his mother during the event and she called 911 for him. She rushed to the school and discovered that no one knew where the epipens were. It's a parent's nightmare.
I don't like fear-mongering, but since I recently posted about schools that do not have nurses--particularly in the context of food allergic and asthmatic students--I thought this article would further drive home the point that parents of food allergic children (and other health conditions such as asthma or diabetes) need to consider whether a trained medical professional of some kind is on campus during all school activities should a medical emergency ever arise. It's a very serious problem.